Sunday, November 23, 2014

Day Two Hundred Sixty-Eight

Finland FI-1168094 received 08-15-2011

Sent by: LeilaR
From: Finland
ID number: FI-1168094
Notes: These are Vaccinium vitis-idaea.  They are also known as whortleberries, cowberries, or, more commonly here in the U.S., lingonberries.  They grow on evergreen shrubs, and are native to the boreal forests and Arctic tundra throughout Eurasia and North America.  LeilaR said that in Finland, they used them to make jams and pies (mmmmm, pie), and they also eat them with meat.



Ukraine UA-61019 received 02-12-2011

Sent by: hope_clearwater
From: Ukraine
ID number: UA-61019
Notes: It seems to me that a dirigible half full of vodka would actually have a hard time staying in the air.  But what do I know?  According to hope_clearwater, the caption on the front says "When I drink vodka, I will fly up to the sky, on with wonderful dirigible.  I am not afraid either of bullets or of a sword!"  Yeah, that's what happens when you drink too much (or so I've heard).  

No comments :