Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day Two Hundred Sixty-One

Ukraine UA-23328 received 03-31-2010

Sent by: jane-u
From: Ukraine
ID number: UA-23328
Notes: Bohdan Khmelnytsky, the subject of this monument in Kiev, was the Hetman of the Zaporozhian Host of the Crown of the Kingdom of Poland in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (now part of Ukraine).  Now if you are a bit confused by that sentence, you are not alone.  I took it straight off of Wikipedia and had to read parts of three other Wikipedia entries to figure out that it basically means he was the head of state.  He was in power from 1648 until his death in 1657.




Ukraine UA-125956 received 09-12-2011

Sent by: Lumotar
From: Ukraine
ID number: UA-125956
Notes: Olesko Castle is an oval-shaped castle located in western Ukraine.  The first record of the castle's existence is from 1390 when Pope Boniface IX gave the castle to a Catholic bishop as a gift.  If anyone would like to give me a castle as a gift, I will take it.  I prefer this one, just in case you were wondering.

1 comment :

wassamatta_u said...

I'd give you a castle, except you're not, to the best of my knowledge, a Catholic Bishop. Otherwise I would. Really.