Friday, February 13, 2015

Day Three Hundred Fifty

Netherlands NL-278893 received 01-30-2010

Sent by: J-essica
From: Netherlands
ID number: NL-278893
Notes: Drachten is a town in the Dutch province of Friesland in northern Netherlands.  This card shows various locations around Drachten.  Unfortunately, I don't have specific names for any of the locations.  The card doesn't have a caption, and none of the locations is shown in the photos of Drachten on Wikipedia (yes, that is where I get most of my information).  The statue in the large picture, however, is of a street musician named Peije - Wikipedia at least gave me that much.  It also gave me an rather unusual and interesting fact - the Drachten's city center has very few traffic lights and signs.  The theory is that drivers pay more attention to their surroundings when they can't rely on strict traffice rules.  It has actually reduced traffic accidents in the area to about 1 a year.  Wowza!

No comments :