Sunday, March 22, 2015

Loquacious

USA US-498698 received 09-14-2009

Sent by: daughterofdot
From: New York, New York, USA
ID number: US-498698
Notes: I'd be very surprised if there was anyone that had not heard of the Empire State Building.  It was the tallest building in the world from 1931 to 1970, and has been featured in numerous films, including King Kong and Sleepless in Seattle.  Doctor Who has also visited the Empire State Building several times: first in the 1966 serial "The Chase", featuring William Hartnell as the (1st) Doctor, and more recently in the 2007 two-parter "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of the Daleks", featuring David Tennant as the 10th Doctor.  Also. the Mythbusters have tested the myth that a penny dropped off the top of the Empire State Buidling could kill a person on the ground. Spoiler alert: it can't.  The penny doesn't have enough mass, and terminal velocity means the speed does not get high enough.




Ohio - Cedar Point, Sandusky

Sent by: MadCityJudy
From: Janesville, Wisconsin, USA
For: Private swap
Notes: I had to do a bit of detective work to figure out who sent this card to me.  The sender didn't write her Postcrossing username on the card, but she did include an address label with her real name and address.  So I went to the user search page on the Postcrossing website, looking for someone with the first name Judy who lives in Janesville, WI, and who joined Postcrossing before July 8, 2009 (the date Judy wrote on the card).  The username MadCityJudy immediately caught my eye, and when I looked at her profile, it said that she had lived in Ohio.  Since Cedar Point is in Sandusky, Ohio, that made me pretty confident that I had picked the correct user.  Anyway, Cedar Point is a 365 acre amusement park located on the shore of Lake Erie.  It opened in 1870, and currently features 72 rides (a world record), including 16 roller coasters.  I am not at all a fan of roller coasters, but I would still like to visit Cedar Point some time.

Sheesh, I wrote a lot more than I usually do.

No comments :