Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eggcentric

Finland FI-538776 received 05-09-2009

Sent by: annet10
From: Jyväskylä, Finland
ID number: FI-538776
Notes: This card has me wondering two things.  1.  Is that a really big egg, or are the bunnies really small?  2. Why does the bunny in the blue overalls have a pussy willow sticking out of his pocket?  For some reason I felt the need to look up pussy willows, and I believe that the one on this card is Salix cinerea, also known as the grey willow, which is native to Europe and Western Asia.  (American pussy willows are Salix discolor.)  And in case you are wondering, Happy Easter in Finnish is Hyvää Pääsiäistä.  I know this because the back of the card says so.




Poland PL-24133 received 04-18-2009

Sent by: Admiral_Penguin
From: Poland
ID number: PL-24133
Notes:  As usual, the glitter on this card does not show up well on a scan. You'll have to trust me when I say that the card is actually prettier in person than it looks here.  The eggs in the basket are called pisanki.  There are several different types of pisanki, although I think drapanki (or skrobanki) are the most familiar to people here in the U.S.  Drapanki are eggs that are dyed in natural dyes, and then the dye is scraped away to reveal the white shell underneath.  Polish for 'Happy Easter' is Wesołych Świąt Wielkanocnych.

No comments :