Sunday, April 12, 2015

Races and Rockefeller Center

USA US-631120 received 03-08-2010

Sent by: marykat
From: Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
ID number US-631120
Notes: These dirigibles are involved in a race on Long Island, New York in 1908.  Most dirigibles that I've seen are enclosed, but it looks to me like there is just a framework hanging from the top balloon with a guy sitting on it.  NO thank you!  I wasn't able to find any more information about this race or these dirigibles, but if you like this photo and are interested in a print of you, you can buy one from the New York Times for a mere $199.  I think I'll stick with the postcard.



New York - Rockefeller Center

Sent by: EvansCrew (aka churchguysNprincesses)
From: Massachusetts, USA
For: Private swap
Notes: The Prometheus Fountain outside 30 Rockefeller Center has been seen in numerous movies and TV shows, especially ones showing the ice skating rink, which is directly in front of the fountain.  30 Rock, as the building is known, is currently home to The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and of course, Saturday Night Live.  The bronze statue of Prometheus was created in 1934 by Paul Manship.  It's 18 feet tall and weights 8 tons.  

3 comments :

wassamatta_u said...

In the interest of Common Decency and to Protect the Innocent, I shall refrain from comment on the...er... "Dirigibles".

Kristin aka Trekkie Gal said...

I endeavor to make this a family friendly blog, so I appreciate your restraint. And frankly, I'm a bit surprised by it. :)

wassamatta_u said...

My restraint shouldn't be a surprise. Heck, people have been putting me in them for years!