Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day!

USA US-1558490 received 03-31-2012

Sent by: maverick7706
From: Lakeville, Minnesota, USA
ID number: US-1558490
Notes: I didn't really have any good Fourth of July cards, so I had to make do.  This card from the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota looks rather patriotic to me.  It opened in August of 1992, and I believe I visited it a couple of years later with my parents.  I spent most of my time there in the amusement park in the center of the mall rather than looking in the stores themselves.




Michigan - Robert E. Lee Showboat, Lowell

Notes: In 1932, during the Great Depression, the town of Lowell, Michigan started an annual project to hold a talent show on a riverboat.  The first showboat was the George Washington, but in 1935, the Robert E. Lee, shown here, was commissioned.  I'm not quite sure why a city in Michigan would name a boat after a Confederate general, but several new boats have been built since then, and they all seem to be named Robert E. Lee, so I guess the name works for them. I chose the card for today because the flags and bunting seemed appropriate for today.  I purchased this card at the Grand Rapids Art Museum in Grand Rapids when I was there for a Postcrossing meet-up a few years ago.  It is made from two pieces of maple veneer, but seems like it would easily snap in two if it were to be sent through the postal system.  

No comments :