Sunday, July 12, 2015

Hello, Sweeties!

Japan JP-163681 received 04-25-2011

Sent by: ogurice
From: Tokyo, Japan
ID number: JP-163681
Notes: I've said in the past that I love cards showing typical foods from a country, especially desserts and sweets.  Well, then it should be no surprise that I really like both of today's cards.  These Japanese-style cakes are so cute, each on their own little plate.  As an American, I'd probably be disappointed if I tasted one of them though.  Japanese confections tend to be a lot less sweet than American desserts.  I belonged to Skoshbox for a while and got to try a bunch of different Japanese candies and other sweets. Some were good but many were not, and some were just downright disgusting.  I've learned that I don't like anything flavored with green tea or pickled plum.  Blech!



Belgium BE-97935 received 05-09-2011

Sent by: Dreamweaverbird
From: Beveren, Belgium
ID number: BE-97935
Notes: Now these I find much more palatable - Belgian chocolates!  They're not only tasty (I'm assuming), but they are adorable too.  The two in the middle (hedgehogs?) are almost too cute to eat.  I'd have no trouble eating the rest of them though.  Dreamweaverbird mentioned that the little mushrooms at the top are marzipan, which is also not bad.

2 comments :

Helen said...

Those Japanese sweets would most likely be very sweet. I believe those are the kind of sweets that people eat with matcha. Over here, matcha is quite bitter, so you eat the sweet first and then wash it down with the tea.

I don't like Japanese sweets like these. They are too sweet for me!

Kristin aka Trekkie Gal said...

I wonder if your definition of "very sweet" is different from mine. :)