Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween?

UK GB-343620 received 07-21-2012

Sent by: Lottie
From: Woking, England, United Kingdom
ID number: GB-343620
Notes: Ok, so I don't actually have any Halloween cards.  But what is a big part of Halloween?  Candy!  I'm not sure what kind of candy this is, but I think they might be Smarties, which appear to be the British version of M&Ms.  In the U.S., though, Smarties are an entirely different kind of candy.  Although I've never had them, I'm pretty sure I would like British Smarties better than U.S. Smarties (which are yucky!).




China CN-1416425 received 09-22-

Sent by: Azure_Summer
From: Ürümqi, China
ID number: CN-1416425
Notes: The large round object on this card is a mooncake, which is a traditional food for China's Mid-Autumn Festival.  The festival takes place on the night of the full moon between early September and early October.  (That's not really mid-autumn to me.)  The cakes are traditionally filled with lotus seed paste, sweet bean paste, jujube paste or five kernel (5 different kinds of seeds and nuts).  The crust is most commonly chewy, but can also be flaky or tender.  There are modern versions of the mooncakes as well, with fillings including cream cheese, tiramisu, green tea, chococlate, ice cream and coffee.  There are even fat-free mooncakes and high-fiber, low-sugar mooncakes.  

No comments :