Saturday, November 28, 2015

Scenes of Sušice

Czech Republic CZ-517777 received 09-30-2014

Sent by: Tattoogirl
From: Sušice, Czech Republic
ID number: CZ-517777
Notes: Sušice is a town of 11,500 in southwestern Czech Republic.  It was founded in the 8th century near the Otava River, which was a gold mining area.  Most of the town was destroyed by a fire in 1707.  In 1838, a factory in the town began to produce safety matches, and they are still produced in Sušice to this day.  The main photo on this card shows the Chapel of the Holy Guardian Angels, which was built in 1735 at the Capuchin Monastery in Sušice.  The inset photo at the left is the Town Hall, and next to it is the Gymnázium, which is a school with a focus on sports.  The photo on the right is the Church of the Assumption, which was restored in the 1940s.

No comments :