Monday, December 21, 2015

Hyvää Joulua!

Finland FI-699131 received 12-18-2009

Sent by: hd303
From: Lahti, Finland
ID number: FI-699131
Notes: I tried to figure out if this card showed some sort of custom in Finland, so I searched for Christmas traditions involving cats.  The first thing I came across was the Yule Cat.  Well, that's just terrifying!  I was almost afraid to look any further.  But I did, and I found the tonttu (aka tomte).  The story doesn't involve a cat, but rather a short creature with a long white beard who wears a conical or knit red cap.  Seems like that could be the fellow on the left.  And since the tonttu is a gift bearer, that pretty much confirms it for me.  I think he could probably take that spoon out of the bowl before giving it to the cat though...

FYI, the title of this post simply means Merry Christmas.

1 comment :

wassamatta_u said...

I bet next year's Blockbuster Christmas Horror Movie will undoubtedly be "Yule Cat: Death to Christmouse!"