Sunday, January 3, 2016

An Irretrievable Relic

Belarus BY-248025 received 12-31-2011

Sent by: Milava
From: Minsk, Belarus
ID number: BY-248025
Notes: The cross on the right is the Cross of St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk.  St. Euphrosyne, Mother Superior at the convent in Polotsk and one of 15 patron saints in Belarus, commissioned it in 1161 to decorate the new church.  The painting on the right shows her holding the cross.  In 1941, the cross was lost during the occupation of Belarus by German troops, but it isn't clear exactly what happened to it.  In 1997, a craftsman created an officially endorsed replica, which is on display in the Polotsk Cathedral.  

No comments :