Wednesday, March 30, 2016

An American Castle

USA US-3868284 received 03-04-2016


Sent by: USfirefly
From: Avon, Connecticut, USA
ID number: US-3868284
Notes: Most of the castle postcards that I post are from other countries, but this one is actually from the United States.  This is Gillette Castle in Hadlyme, Connecticut.  It was built between 1914 and 1919 for William Hooker Gillette, an actor, playwright and stage manager who is best known for portraying Sherlock Holmes on stage for 34 years.  The castle, also known as Seventh Sister, is now the center of Gillette Castle State Park, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

Yes, I realize that I am behind on posting.  I've been very busy at work, sometimes even bringing work home with me, so I haven't felt much like posting.  Hopefully I will catch up soon.

No comments :