Sunday, March 27, 2016

Pysanky, Pussy willows and Paskha (but actually Kulich)

Ukraine UK-91365 received 04-15-2011

Ukraine UA-1007557 received 04-12-2014

Sent by: Alenka-Alenka (top) and Nato4-ka (bottom)
From: Kiev, Ukraine (top) and Simferopol, Ukraine (bottom)
ID number: UA-97365 (top) and UA-1007557 (bottom)
Notes: As both of these cards have almost all of the same types of items on them, I thought I'd post them both together.  It doesn't surprise me that both of them were published by the same postcard company.  Alenka-Alenka told me that the three items mentioned in the title of this post are part of a traditional Ukrainian Easter table.  She told me that the bread is called paskha, but my research told me that paskha is actually more of an egg custard.  The bread is actually called kulich, which is blessed by the priest and eaten before breakfast.  Pysanky are the decorated eggs.  The designs are created with wax and then the egg is dyed, which is a lot like how batik fabric is made.  I'm hoping you know what pussy willows are, but in case you don't, they are the branches with the little fuzzies on them. 

No comments :